Wednesday, July 30, 2008

No New Taxes...Oh, Boy

Does this sound familiar?

"I want to look you in the eye: I will not raise your taxes nor support a tax increase. I will not do it."

McCain said it in a town hall meeting in Colorado today.  While I applaud him for it, I have a bad feeling that if he manages to win the White House while facing a strong Democrat majority in Congress, they'll be able to box him into either raising taxes (thus violating a clear campaign promise and dooming his 2012 campaign like George H.W. Bush did in 1988) or becoming a lame duck President very early in his first term by shutting down everything he tries to do.  We know for certain from George W. Bush's experience (i.e. letting Kennedy write the education bill, etc.) that working with Democrats never yields a return measure of cooperation, so while I firmly agree with the sentiment, I wonder if he's just bitten off more than he can chew.  Time will tell, I guess.

There's my two cents.

No comments: