Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Bigger Picture Is Even More Disturbing

I finally saw someone put into words what I think is the root cause of a lot of the frustration and anger about what the Senate is doing on this shamnesty bill. It was actually in a comment on a blog, so I have no idea who this guy is, but I think he's exactly right:

"This is a very important bill, not just because of the humongous impact it will have on our borders and sovereignty, but there is another consideration. The population as a whole: Democrat, Republican, Independent, liberal, conservative, moderate seem to be all in opposition to this bill. However, the Senate and possibly the House seems is intent on pushing this through regardless of the people’s will. If this bill passes Senate and House and is signed by the President, Congress will be essentially saying that it is no longer the people’s representative institution–that it answers to others. Now, while this has pretty much been a tacit and not so tacit given amongst many, the passage of this bill regardless of the overwhelming popular opposition to it will amount to a bold faced statement of fact.
Matt Helm on June 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM"

Basically, you and I no longer have representation.

Representation is one of the most fundamental rights of Americans, one of the precise reasons that America is so great. For our elected representatives -- note the irony there -- to take that right away is beyond the pale. To add insult to injury, they're doing it to buy a few votes from people who shouldn't even be in America, some of whom are actively seeking to kill Americans! That's why so many people from so many walks of life are angry about what has happened with this shamnesty bill.

I still firmly believe that this bill will fail on Thursday's cloture vote (largely due to continuing pressure from all sides), and that it will not even get out of the Senate. If that is the case, it will restore a small measure of my confidence in my representatives and others around the country, but they've got a lot of work to do to gain my trust again. It is clear that our leaders cannot be implicitly trusted to do what's in the best interest of Americans anymore.

This is one of the reasons I started this blog - because the simple act of paying attention is so critically important, and I feel strongly that whether you agree with me or not, the fact that you're paying attention is what counts.

There's my two cents.

No comments: