Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Internet Taxation

Right Truth posts about the impending moratorium on Internet taxation that expires at the end of this month. Excerpt:
October 31st is the last day Congress can act to extend or make permanent the Internet Tax Moratorium. If Congress chooses to do nothing (not always a bad thing in my view), the tax moratorium will expire and on November 1st, state and local jurisdictions would be allowed to impose taxes on broadband and Internet access. This would also represent the first major tax increase on consumers in almost eight years.

There are about 15,000 different taxing jurisdictions, so American consumers face the prospect of paying new taxes on everything from email to instant messaging and video downloads to spam or junk e-mail filters.
I don't know about you, but I really don't like the thought of paying taxes on e-mail, instant messaging, and downloads, and I certainly don't like the thought of being taxed for spam that I didn't even want in the first place!

Call your Reps and Senators and let them know what you think of Internet taxation.

There's my two cents.

No comments: