Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Update: Thompson Drops Out

Former Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson has officially dropped out of the 2008 presidential race.  Despite quite a bit of hype in the early stages of his candidacy, he finished no better than third in any of the first few states.  As a result, Thompson's money has apparently dried up, and I heard a report or two about his mother becoming ill.

This helps clear up the still-murky Republican presidential field a bit, but strikes me as being a blow to conservatives.  Although Thompson had a few question marks, I believe he was probably the closest thing (out of the five 'major' candidates) to a true conservative running this time around.  Unless Duncan Hunter makes a meteoric rise in the polls, I believe we conservatives are going to have to pick our poison and take a fair amount of bad with the good.

There's my two cents.

No comments: