Monday, August 4, 2008

For The Locals...

Tomorrow is the Missouri state primary. I have not mentioned it much before this because I've been trying to get some clarification from the Republican candidates for Governor, but neither has been forthcoming. I'm not really very surprised, but I am disappointed.

This is one of my biggest frustrations when it comes to politics. Most of the federal level races have national coverage, which means there are plenty of 'unbiased' sources to identify the real candidate behind the campaign slogans. No such luck with state or local races. Sadly, the newspapers usually fall flat when it comes to actually reporting news and positions (the Kansas City Star, in particular, gave up on actual reporting years ago, and now is quite blatant about who they endorse; it is never the true conservative, so opposing whoever they like is actually not a bad way to decide). Absent the same exposure of national eyes, I have found it very hard to get reliable information about state and local races.

As such, I don't really have any recommendations for the primary election tomorrow. I have come to believe that an uninformed vote is a bad vote, so I may not go to the polls at all.

From what little I have learned, here are just a couple observations on a couple important races. Take 'em for what they're worth...not much.

1. Sam Graves rocks! He's a tried and true conservative who has long stood for core conservative principles. He may not be a flashy rock star leader, but he is as straight as it gets. A guaranteed winner.

2. Sarah Steelman vs. Kenny Hulshof --> this is a toss-up. Much of the Missouri GOP is endorsing Hulshof, but
in my opinion (given how awful government has become) that's a bad thing. He's being portrayed as a Washington-connected big spender, but that's no different than anyone else, really. But, because of these things, my inclination would be to go with Steelman...except that I have a friend -- whose opinion I trust implicitly -- who actually works for a Congressman in southern Missouri who said that Steelman is known for being a dirty player. Maybe Hulshof isn't so bad...

3. Tim Flook is a good man. He's worked hard on behalf of the people of this area, and I've talked with him personally several times. He's one of the good ones.

Sorry I don't have more specific information. You can choose your own methodology. The enemy of my enemy is my friend works well (as in the case of the Star) at times, as does simply voting against all incumbents on the theory of cleaning house. Just use your best judgment. If you don't know enough to vote intelligently, please consider skipping the vote. You'll have another chance in the general, and I'll have much better information for you to consider.

Like I said, for what it's worth...

There's my two cents.


PS - this is one of those rare -- EXTREMELY RARE -- posts where I'm not sure my opinion is worth even that much...! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer that there's not more comprehensive, fair reporting of MO politics. Thanks for your thoughts. We sure get a lot of ugly mail from the Democrats regarding Sam Graves...it ain't pretty and don't worry, we don't buy it. I vouch for Tim Flook.

:)kb

B J C said...

Thanks for your thoughts! :)